Pre-Care Instructions: Microneedling/PRP
7 Days Before Microneedling/PRP Treatment
- Avoid chemical peels, waxing, electrolysis, Laser treatments, or threading for 7 days.
- It is fine to continue iron and vitamin D.
- If you are taking any blood thinners, please let your provider know immediately, as they may represent a contraindication to this treatment. These medications include Plavix, Coumadin and Heparin.
- Avoid aspirin, Advil, Motrin, Ibuprofen, Naproxen, Voltaren and other anti-inflammatory medications. ☆ We want inflammation to occur – as this is one mechanism by which PRP works.☆
- You may use Tylenol (acetaminophen) as needed prior to the treatment.
- Prescription medications (including heart and blood pressure medication) should be taken as prescribed right up to, and including, the day of and the day after your treatments.
- Avoid excessive sun or heat exposure.
3 Days Before Microneedling/PRP Treatment
- Discontinue blood thinning agents such as vitamin E, vitamin A, Ginko, Garlic, Flax, Cod Liver Oil, and Essential Fatty Acids, and multivitamins, a minimum of 3 days prior to treatment.
- Avoid topical products such as Tretinoin (Retin-A), Retinols, Retinoids, Glycolic Acid, Alpha Hydroxy Acid, Salicylic Acid, or other “anti-aging”, “acne”, and “bleaching” products.
- Also AVOID waxing, bleaching, tweezing, or the use of hair removal cream on the area to be treated.
- Avoid excessive sun exposure and wear a broad-spectrum sunscreen daily of SPF 30 or higher.
Day Of Treatment
- Please arrive to the office with a “clean face”.
- Do not wear makeup. No lotions, makeup or other topical products should be applied on the day of the procedure.
- If the area to be treated requires shaving due to hair involvement, please shave the area the evening prior to your visit to avoid any trauma or rash from shaving.
- A topical anesthetic cream will be applied for about 15 minutes prior to your procedure.
Post-Care Instructions: Microneedling/PRP
Immediately after your Microneedling procedure, do not take any anti-inflammatory medications such as Ibuprofen, Motrin or Advil. These agents will interfere with the natural inflammatory process that is critical and responsible for your skin rejuvenation. Follow these simple steps:
Day of procedure: No lotions, makeup or other topical products on your face before your procedure. After your procedure your medical provider may apply a lipo-peptide booster, skin moisturizer, or sunscreen. You may clean your face with a gentle cleanser before bed. Avoid makeup for 24 hours following your appointment. Once you resume your makeup routine; use only clean brushes and applicators.
Day 1: On the next day, you may clean your face as usual and apply makeup, lotions and other topical products as usual. Stay away from exfoliants or glycolic acids that are present in cleaners as these can make your skin very dry after the procedure. Avoid direct sun exposure for 10 days if possible. Be sure to use an approved, paraben-free SPF30 or greater sunscreen! Undesirable chemicals in most sunscreens can penetrate the skin causing irritation and possible breakouts. ☆ Sleep on a clean pillowcase the first night. The primary goal is to avoid any dirt from setting into open areas during the first 24 hours. ☆
Days 2-7: Within two (2) days following your Microneedling/PRP procedure, you will notice skin dryness and flaking. This is due to an increased turnover of skin cells. During this period, you may apply your regular skin moisturizer. You may have a little micro bruising that may exist for three or four days. This can easily be covered with makeup.
Days later, your skin will start shedding and will be dry. These are skin layers that would regularly shed a week later, but the Microneedling brings this skin to the surface sooner.
Days 7+: A week after the Microneedling/PRP procedure, most patients notice that their skin is smoother and more radiant!
Results vary, but usually a course of 3 treatments (maximum of 5, depending on the condition being treated) is typically recommended. If you require MORE procedures than this, you may have an unrecognized underlying medical condition and should consult with your provider. Of course, results may vary from patient to patient. Keep in mind that the healthier your body is, the better will be the results you achieve from a Microneedling procedure. Your body’s function and overall health are reflected in your skin.
Call our office at (213) 866-3747 if you experience excessive redness, swelling, pain or drainage as they might indicate an infection.