Pre-Care instructions: Dermaplaning
- Avoid the use of Retin-A type products for 2 days pre- and post-treatment.
- Avoid excess sun exposure, including tanning beds for 1 week before treatment, and use SPF 30 or greater daily to ensure coverage against UVB and UBA rays.
- Do not use any type of exfoliants 2 days before treatment. – Refrain from any chemical peels or lasers for 2 weeks prior.
- Discontinue use of Tretinoin type products (Renova, Tretinoin, Retin A, Retin A Micro, Tri-Luma, Solage, etc.) at least 2 days before treatment.
- Discontinue use of Hydroquinone 2-3 days before treatment.
- If you have a history of cold sores, consider beginning prophylactic treatment with Valtrex or similar no later than the day of treatment.
- Notify the center if you develop a cold sore, acne, open lesions in the area being treated, or experience any type of illness before your treatment.
- Botox and filler may be done on the same day, but only after Dermaplaning treatment.
Post-Care Instructions: Dermaplaning
What to Expect During and Immediately After Dermaplaning Treatment:
- Temporary irritation, tightness, or redness. These are all normal reactions that typically resolve within 72 hours depending on skin sensitivity.
- Tingling and stinging during the treatment area. These sensations generally subside within three hours of treatment.
- Small nicks, cuts, and scratches generally subside within 24 hours of treatment.
- You will likely see results immediately after treatment and your skin will feel smooth and hydrated for one to four weeks. For improved, longer lasting results, consider take-home products and monthly Dermaplaning treatments.
- To keep the area clean, avoid heat sources, including hot showers, saunas, and cardio workouts that may produce sweat for 24 hours.
- Do not use topical Retin-A for 2 days following treatment.
- No exfoliation for 48 hours
- It is important to avoid direct sunlight for 48 hours, Always wear at least SPF 30
- Avoid the use of Retin-A, Retinol, Renova, Alpha or Beta Hydroxyl Acid products for 48 hours
- Avoid swimming and tanning beds for 48 hours
- Wait twelve to twenty four hours before applying makeup. It is important to allow your skin to breathe following your facial. Makeup brushes should be cleansed, washed, and disinfected to avoid spreading bacteria.
- Exfoliation with scrubs or masks should be avoided 3-5 days following your facial. Over exfoliation can lead to sensitized skin and can even encourage breakouts.
- Pillowcases should be changed the day of your facial, and should be changed weekly.