Pre-Care Instructions: Kybella
- If you have a special event or vacation coming up, please keep in mind that you may want to schedule your treatment at least 2 weeks in advance due to swelling
- Avoid the use of Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Advil, Aleve, Motrin, Ginkgo Biloba, Garlic Supplements, Green Tea, Flax Oil, Cod Liver Oil, Vitamins A and E, Omega-3, fish oil for up to 1 week before and after your treatment as they will increase your risk of bruising
- Avoid anti-inflammatory medications 10-14 days prior and 3-4 days post treatment
- Avoid the use of alcohol 24 hours before and after your treatment to avoid excess bruising
- You may take Arnica tablets 2-3 days before and after your treatment to reduce the risk of bruising
- No shaving the day of the procedure to avoid skin irritation. If there is dense hair present in the treatment area, closely shave the area the day before you arrive to your appointment.
- Do not apply products that are potentially irritating for 1-2 days before and after treatment (examples- tretinoin/Retin-A, Blycolic acid, benzoyl peroxide, hydroquinone)
- If you develop a cold, flu, cold sore, or rash in the area to be treated prior to your appointment we recommend that you please reschedule your appointment when it resolves
- Do not use Kybella if you are pregnant or breastfeeding or are allergic to any of its ingredients
- Please inform your provider if you have any questions about this prior to the day of treatment You may experience a mild amount of tenderness or stinging during your treatment
Post-Care Instructions: Kybella
- Apply ice every hour for at least 15min. You may apply it for 5 min intervals with 10 min breaks, but avoid prolonged icing to avoid developing frostbite
- Avoid massaging or manipulating the swelling area
- You can take either 2 pills of Extra Strength Tylenol or 3-4 pills of over the counter Ibuprofen, if significant discomfort develops. Wear a tight head wrap around your neck/chin area. You may go to sleep wearing it
- Sleep with your head slightly elevated, preferably on 2-3 pillows for 2-3 nights.
- You may shower and wash your face as you regularly do.
- You may apply moisturizers or sunscreen to the treatment area the next day.
- You may apply Arnica gel if you develop any bruising to expedite the healing process
- Avoid any gym activity for 3 days as exercise is known to worsen swelling. It is absolutely normal to feel and see mild to moderate swelling, numbness, hardness to touch, tingling, redness and tenderness at the site of injections.
- You may occasionally see bruising or small bleeding that should resolve spontaneously.
- Some men might see an area of no hair growth after Kybella injection, which is temporary and will return to normal in 4-6 weeks.
- Most swelling happens immediately and the following day after treatment and will start improving by day 5
Call our office (213.866.3747) if you experience any significant swelling, bleeding, pain, dusky discoloration, difficulty swallowing or smiling, or fever occurs. If you have any other concerns not listed, please feel free to call or email Dr. Jones and he will speak to you to answer any questions.
If you develop difficulty breathing, difficulty swallowing, skin discoloration or scabbing, you must immediately inform Dr. Jones’ office or call 911.